How do I bring charges against someone who made false aligations about me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I bring charges against someone who made false aligations about me?

I have been driving a school bus for almost 10 years. A parent sent and email to my supervisor that I had abused and shaken her son’s head. It is such a lie. Her accusations led to me been released from my job. So now my family does not have health insurance and I have lost getting tenured with the school system. I have been very depressed over all of this. I’ve been humiliated in front of my peers. I have never had a right up in all of my years driving. I am a person who goes over and beyond for my students. I am requested from teachers, coaches and parents to drive their children. I just don’t think that she should be allowed to make these false accusations. I have the email that she sent my supervisor.

Asked on May 8, 2019 under Personal Injury, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's not charges you would bring--it's a lawsuit. When someone makes an untrue factual allegation or claim against you to other people (e.g. your supervisor), which allegation damages your reputation, that is defamation. (The key is, the factual assertion--that you abused or shook her son--must be provably untrue, such as by reliable testimony [yours or other witnesses], medical evidence, etc.). When someone defames you, you can sue them for compensation, such as your loss of income and insurance. Speak to a personal injury attorney to explore this option: the same lawyers who slip-and-fall or car accident cases are generally the ones who handle defamation cases, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption