How do I begin the procedure for a pardon of my felony record?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I begin the procedure for a pardon of my felony record?

I have a 2 felony convictions on my record from 1 crime committed, and I want to know how to begin the procedure for a pardon of my record.

Asked on August 23, 2010 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Pardons are generally done in connection with a request for a commutation - or reduction - in the sentence of a current prisoner.  We often see the pardon issue appear on a show where a criminal is sentenced to death and he or she waits for a call from the Governor to save him or her.  What you may want to explore is an expungement of your criminal record.  Some states do not allow for the expungement of any felony conviction.  Michigan, though, does allow for same for first convictions.  I would seek help from an attorney on the matter but look up the following laws to get an idea:

M.C.L. § 780.621; M.C.L. 750.520c, 750.520d, or 750.520g; M.C. L. § 780.621 et seq.; M.C.L. § 22.828 (juvenille records).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption