How do i become in charge of my mother’s estate when she dies?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i become in charge of my mother’s estate when she dies?

She wants me to be in charge I have 3 younger siblings.

Asked on November 3, 2018 under Estate Planning, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your mother wants you to be in charge of her estate, then she wiill need to name you as her "executor". This is the person who administers the estate (i.e. pays creditors, takes inventory, oversees the maintenance and repair of estate property until probate closes, distributes estate assets to the beneficiaries, etc.). In order to become the executor, your mother will need to draft and execute a Will. There are online forms for doing so that can be obtained for not much money. However, depending on the details of her estate, she may want to set up a Trust. At this point, she should consult with a local probate attorney who can best advise her further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption