how do i avoid going to jail?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do i avoid going to jail?

recently a warrant for my arrest had been issued do to allegedly stealing a
cellular phone and selling it to a electronic recycling kiosk. I really dont know
where to begin, i’m stressing and worried more than ever and i do not want to go
to jail.

Asked on June 1, 2017 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to retain a criminal law attorney. Get one who practices in the area of where this incident happened. They can utilize their local court contacts to your best advantage. And the sooner you do this the better. Warrants do not expire so you an be taken into custody at any time. In the meanwhile, do not speak to the police without having a lawyer present. The police are trained and experienced in getting someone to incriminate themselves. Again, consult with an attorney ASAP. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption