How do i appeal my insurance company’s decision of me being at fault for an auto accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i appeal my insurance company’s decision of me being at fault for an auto accident?

Was hit by a person Tht entered the
turn lane too soon yet I was found
liable for the accident Insurance
company claims they were in the turn
lane at the appropriate time but they
were NOT

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You indicate that it is your own insurer that is, presumably, refusing to cover the accident. You can first use whatever internal appeals process (if any) they have in their policy for disputes over coverage. If none, or if you have already done that, you could, if you feel that they should have covered you, sue them for breach of contract (insurance policies are contracts)--that is, for violating their contractual obligation to pay the claim. You'd need to show in court the terms of policy and the facts of the accident, and how give that, the insurer should pay. Bear in mind that if your policy states that you have to arbitrate disputes, that you will have to arbitrate--arbitration clauses are enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption