How do domestic partners llegally separate bills etc. so that credit cannot be damaged after breaking up?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do domestic partners llegally separate bills etc. so that credit cannot be damaged after breaking up?

In a joint lease, have joint credit cards, and a baby with ex-boyfriend. He struggles financially and now we have financial ties. No longer living in the leased townhouse, but the landlord is not willing to allow me out of the lease and I do not want my credit damaged if ex does not make payments. Is there anyway to legally divide bills so that I am not liable for his portion?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In your domestic partnership situation where it seems that all the debt that you and ex boy-friend is joint due to signing loan applications for credit cards as well the the lease for the townhouse, there is no real way to insulate you from the joint debt. Both you and your ex-boyfriend will need to do the best you can to pay down the debt.

Your situation is similar of a divorce after a couple has been married for many years. The debts to creditors are joint debts. The parties who are divorcing can make an agreement to divide the debts and assets but the creditors in the end look at both of the spouses for ultimate payment in the end.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption