How do a write a motion to lift a no contact order resulting from a domestic violence charge where I am the so called victim in FLorida?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do a write a motion to lift a no contact order resulting from a domestic violence charge where I am the so called victim in FLorida?

I bonded my boyfriend out to learn that we have a no contact order and he is on a gps system. THere were no injuries and this was a result of stress and alcohol. He had taken my keys and wallet which I found later. The police would not help unless I agreed to make a statement which I did and told them he grabbed my hair and pushed me and took my things. The money in my account that he wanted was his. I am unemployed and can not hire an attorney. He is the one employed at this time. All of his work stuff is with me and he needs to come home and get to work,.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I can't give you firm advice here, without all of the facts of your case; my experience tells me that there is quite a bit more to the story.  In any event, I'm not a Florida attorney, and there may be variations in the law that could make a difference.

Your question doesn't make it quite clear whether the statement that you gave to the police was truthful or not.  Admitting to a false statement to the police, especially if it resulted in a restraining order, could expose you to criminal charges, and there would also be the possibility of a lawsuit against you by your boyfriend, if he becomes your ex-boyfriend before the statute of limitations (probably at least a year, maybe two or three) runs out.

You may be able to get help from legal services, or a center for women's rights or victims of domestic violence, and I would look for that and take advantage of it, if you can.  Otherwise, you will have to go to the court, and see if you can get the forms needed to have the order vacated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption