How could I apply for naturalization?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How could I apply for naturalization?

I got greencard 2010 Dec. I have still same status, but with in these years I
stayed in my country more than a year because of my family emergency. Now I would
like to apply for naturalization but I heard that I could not apply for
naturalization because I stayed more than a year out of the USA. SO, would you
help me on that case for to apply the process of citizenship pls.

Asked on January 29, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Was the year all at once or a total of 1 year? It may be possible that your green card status was terminated although maybe not.  However, what it did do most likely is cut the physical presence time that you need to have in the US in order to naturalize, in addition to being a permanent resident for at least 5 years.  You need to really construct a more thorough chronology of all your time in the US and abroad (counting days) and if you choose to apply now because you see you are eligible, be prepared to have documentation of the family emergency to show why you were there and why you couldn't return to the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption