How child support am I entitled to?Am I entitled to alimony if I been married for 23 years and how long?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How child support am I entitled to?Am I entitled to alimony if I been married for 23 years and how long?

I have 3 kids ages 7, 14 17. He makes 120k
I make 50k a year

Asked on June 16, 2019 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

How much child support you would get (assuming all three children are his) will depend not just on his income, but also on the cost of living where you live, how much money is required to care and provide for three children in that area, whether any of the children have disabilities, issues, developmental delays, etc. that make their care more expensive, etc. So we can not answer how much you would get, but only state that should you get primary custody of them, you *will* get child support.
Since you have been married for many years and he makes almost two-and-a-half times what you do--and so presumably pays much of the families support or cost of living--means that you will get alimony or spousal support, too. But since there are again many factors that go into determining this other than relative incomes and length of marriage, including the spouse's relative ages and health, how long each can expect to keep working, future earning potential and not just current income, we cannot say exactly what that amount would be.
To better understand what you would be entitled to, consult with a family or matrimonial law attorney who can take all the particulars of your situation into account and advise you. Remember, too, that you will also be entitled to a share of the family's assets (e.g. investments, bank accounts, real estate, vehicles, etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption