How can you change the share/split of property under a tenants in common purchase?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can you change the share/split of property under a tenants in common purchase?

An example to illustrate the above question is if Rick contributes 40 of the downpayment and therefore holds 40 interest in the property under the TIC. Maybe 3 years later Rick comes into an inheritance or Rick simply pays a higher percentage of the mortgage for several years. It stands to reason that his 40 should be higher. How can that be legally changed so that should his partner die, he would hold a percentage that is more reflective of his total investment?

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is assumed that Tenants in Common each own half of the Property unless there is a written agreement to the contrary: i.e. it says so on the deed.  I am assuming that your deed states that you own 40%, correct?  If that percentage is going to change then I would suggest contacting a real estate attorney for help.  A separate agreement may also be possible. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption