How can the seller protect himself when they sell a house and there was unpermitted work done?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can the seller protect himself when they sell a house and there was unpermitted work done?

When selling a home to a cash buyer, what clause should be put into the purchase agreement to protect the seller from any future liability when they did some improvements without obtaining a building permit or inspection.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Jeff Lerman / Lerman Law Partners, LLP

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You must provide full, detailed, written disclosure.  You should talk to a lawyer, provide full details, and have the lawyer help you draft that language based on the detailed facts you provide.  If you give me a call, I would be happy to help you do that for a nominal flat fee.

Jeff Lerman


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption