How can my illegal fiancee get his green card?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can my illegal fiancee get his green card?

I have been with an illegal for 6 years now. We have 2 kids together. He has never been in trouble with the police or immigration before. I want to marry him and try to fix his immigration problems. What process do we use? Get married in Mexico?The US? Also, I know he will have to have a pardon.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Immigration Law, South Carolina


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether and how he will be able to legalize his status depends on how he entered the United States.  If he entered the US lawfully and you get married, assuming you are a US citizen, he will be eligible for adjustment of status to permanent residence within the US even if he is now unlawfully present.  If he entered the US unlawfully, under the current immigration laws, he is not eligible for adjustment of status within the US.  He would have to go back to his home country to consular process for a visa.  However, as soon as he departs the US, he will automatically trigger a 10 year bar to reentry, which can only be waived by a showing of extreme hardship to a US citizen spouse.  This is fairly difficult in most cases, so I would strongly advise that you consult with an immigration attorney before you proceed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption