How can I try and get out of a shoplifting charge so that it doesn’t appear on my personal record?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I try and get out of a shoplifting charge so that it doesn’t appear on my personal record?

I was caught stealing a pair of jeans yesterday. The police officer called me because they caught me driving away in my vehicle. She explained the story in full detailand I pled guilty to the officer right away. She then asked for my information and informed me that I will be getting a letter within 2 weeks about my court date. I then contacted the store (the loss prevention lady)and pled right away with her and within 15 minutes I went back to the store and returned the jeans and signed papers. I am going to write an apology letter. How can I get out of it being put on my record?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the circumstances that you are in, it is best that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney about the circumstances that you are writing about in that a conviction or a guilty plea by you for the shoplifting charge could very well have a negative impact upon your job career or desire to get into college in the future.

Potentially you could go on court probation for your offense and if successful with respect to the terms of probation, the offense could be stricken from your record. That is one option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption