How can I sue a person if I do not have any information concerning his address?

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I sue a person if I do not have any information concerning his address?

My vehicle was rear-ended and the person who caused the accident along with
his insurance company will not accept any responsibilities for the damage.

Asked on February 2, 2018 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the person (registered owner of the vehicle that rear-ended you) for negligence.  You can have a process server do a skip trace to locate the person and obtain his address.The process server can then serve the person with your summons and complaint (complaint is the lawsuit). After the person is served, the proof of service must be filed with the court.  Either you or the process server can file the proof of service with the court.
You can find process servers listed under attorney services online or in the Yellow Pages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption