How canI stop a legal hold on my bank account?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI stop a legal hold on my bank account?

I have a wage garnishment and the creditor now put a hold on my account. What can I do?

Asked on April 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to speak with a bankruptcy attorney.  Filing bankruptcy will stop a wage garnishment.  The bankruptcy attorney will be able to advise you whether you are eligible for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13.  Your eligibility for Chapter 7 depends on your income and other factors.  Chapter7 is liquidation. 

If you are not eligible for Chapter 7, Chapter 13 would be an alternative.  Under Chapter 13, you would have a repayment plan for repaying creditors.

Your local or County Bar Association may have an attorney referral service which can give you the names of bankruptcy attorneys in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption