How can i speed up the process of an insurance policy claim?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can i speed up the process of an insurance policy claim?

My father passed away 2months ago. We put the claim in with the insurance company, because my father death was ruled a homicide the insurance company says we need a police report. My farther got shot 25 years ago in 1992 and survived. And here we are trying to obtain a report for something that happen 25 years ago is impossible. What can I do to collect from the insurance company?

Asked on November 19, 2018 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only option is if you believe thatthe insurer is not honoring their policy obligation to pay the claim--i.e. not paying when the plain terms of the policy indicate that they should--you could sue the insurer for "breach of contract" (an insurance policy is a contract). If you can prove that they are not doing what the policy says they must, you can get a court judgment requiring them to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption