How can I remove my partners names from legal documents?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove my partners names from legal documents?

I did create a small internet company with some friends. We registered it as a LLC with our 4 names on it. However, for the past months I have been the only working on the project. How can I remove their names from the company paperwork? Do I need to pay them some kind of compensation or just prove they did not accomplish any work to remove them?

Asked on April 26, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't remove them against their will, unless there was some mandatory buy-out provision or the like in any operating agreements or contracts you and they signed. Otherwise, they are owners of the LLC as much as you, and you cannot take another person's ownership interest away without their consent (e.g. if they agree to be bought out for some amount you are able and willing to pay). If you are the only one doing any work, maybe the thing to do is for YOU to leave this business and create a new one, just for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption