How can I prove that my employer made me sign a statement under duress?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I prove that my employer made me sign a statement under duress?

While working my employer took me into the back room where he had the head of Loss Prevention on the phone. They accused me of stealing, and after they saw I would not admit to such a claim, they threatened to go after my roommate for theft. Since they would go to jail if they were accused of basically anything, I told them what they wanted to hear. They also told me I could leave at any point but if I did they would send a cop to my house to arrest me. They made me fill out a statement, told me what to write and made me sign it. What can I do about this?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to go about proving that the statement that you wrote was under duress is to consult with a criminal defense attorney about your situation you have written about.

I would then retain a private investigator who would then interview the people independently that were present when you signed that coerced statement you have written about. Depending upon what they state, you can use any inconsistencies to your advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption