How can I prove I had no knowledge or contact with drugs in a possession charge?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I prove I had no knowledge or contact with drugs in a possession charge?

I was pulled over in a family vehicle and arrested for possession or a controlled substance that I had no contact with or knowledge of. How can I prove my innocence or have the charges reduced or dismissed?

Asked on December 31, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no way to 100% prove a negative: i.e. to prove you had no knowledge of something or contact with it. 
What you can best do is provide evidence that the drugs belonged to someone else. If the drugs were someone else's and they left them in the car (or wherever they were found), that will tend to establish your innocence, by showing they were someone else's, not yours. But if you cannot show to whom the drugs belonged, you are not likely to be successful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption