how can i protect my baby’s father without marriage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i protect my baby’s father without marriage?

I am 16 my boyfriend is 21. I turn 17 next
month I am pregnant. Due in august this
year. The age of consent in California is 18
and I am scared he won’t be able to sign the
birth certificate ,or go to jail. Getting married
is a very small option . who would report
him,if its not my parents ? Are they the people
at the hospital? Helpme

Asked on April 9, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the people at the hospital could report him. Or your parents. Or school guidance counselors or other staff who become aware of the situation. Or your friend's parents. Etc--basically, anyone who knows or suspects could report him.
The only defense in your state, given the ages you describe, would be marriage. There is no other viable legal defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption