How can I prevent or find out if someone has taken a life insurance policy out on my minor child?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I prevent or find out if someone has taken a life insurance policy out on my minor child?

I have sole custody of my child. She has an estranged grandmother who I think may have obtained a life insurance policy in my child’s name without my consent. This woman is of questionable intentions. Is there legal action I can take to prevent or stop this?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Insurance Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What I believe that you mean here is that she has obtained a life insurance policy on the life of your child, correct?  In order to take out a life insurance policy on the life of someone else a person must have what is known as an insurable interest.  Defined it means that a right to take ut a policy exists when the purchaser has a reasonable expectation of profit or benefit from the continued life of the insured.  Certain blood relationships automatically give rise to insurable interests (parent/child) and legal relationships do as well (husband/wife; business partners).  Grandparents and grandchildren have insurable interests in each others lives.  So really there may be nothing that you can do to stop her here short of terminating her rights.  I am sorry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption