How can I postpone my arraignment for a first-time DUI charge?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I postpone my arraignment for a first-time DUI charge?

I haven’t hired a lawyer yet and it’s coming up next week. Not sure if I’ll have
enough time until then. How would I go about asking to push my hearing back a
week or two?

Asked on February 17, 2017 under Criminal Law, Washington


John Bernardo / Law Offices Of John R. Bernardo III

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Most judges will allow you time to hire a private lawyer or meet with a public defender to see if you qualify.  Do not miss your court date because a warrant may bee issue for your arrest.  If you are ill or have some other emergency call the clerk's office and or the police station to see about moving your date.  Many courts / police will be reluctant to move an arraignment because that may be the first date they will attempt to preliminarily suspend your license.  Hire a lawyer to get these and other issues answered.  DUI may be a misdemeanor but it has serious repercussions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption