How can I obtain title to land/home ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I obtain title to land/home ?

My grandparents both have passed and there was no will from either. I have been
living in and on the property since 2002. My grandfather left my grandmother 2 year
prior and passed in 2004. I moved in to help take care of her and she passed in
2007. The utilities have been in my name since 2008. They have 3 surviving
children but none want the property as I and my father live here.
I would like to get title / right to the property so I can upgrade rebuild the home.
Thank you for any advice. David Sisco
Residence is Oklahoma

Asked on March 21, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So the property was held as husband and wife by your Grandparents, correct?  Then it passed from your Grandfather to your Grandmother outright when he passed.   When your Grandmother passed without a Will that was called "intestate" and the intestacy statute in Oklahoma governs. Under that law, the children inherit everything.  So your Father and his siblings technically own the house.  If they wish to give it to you then they can, but you need to get help about the best way to do that.  The property will have to go through Probate and valued and I would talk to an attorney about renouncing (may not be possible with time limitations) or sale and tax implications to the parties and the estate.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption