How can I obtain an attorney without money?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I obtain an attorney without money?

I lost my job due to an accusation of theft and now have 0 income. I need an attorney to represent me and

I don’t know how to go about this. I keep getting quoted $1000 more and I have no way of this.

Asked on December 21, 2018 under Criminal Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are facing a criminal case, you can ask the court to appoint an attorney for you: people are entitled to court appointed attorneys in criminal matters (e.g. public defenders) if they have sufficiently little income or assets. Contact the court clerk and ask how you would apply, if you have not already.
If this is a non-criminal case, even if grows out of a criminal accusation (e.g. you want to sue your former employer for wrongful termination), there is no right to an attorney--but you are allowed to represent yourself "pro se" (to proceed without a lawyer; i.e. to be your own attorney).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption