How can I make an issue regarding having being provided a 30-40 day notice to move, more in my interest; given me more time?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I make an issue regarding having being provided a 30-40 day notice to move, more in my interest; given me more time?

Have been leasing a home for almost 5-yrs. Owner has given me a 30-40 day notice to vacate the property because of desire to sell the property. I was not aware that when a term lease expires, it automatically goes into a month to month status, knowing a month to month would not have been feasible for me to begin with. What are some things that I can do to try and obtain more time to move?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would suggest looking at your lease agreement to see if it specifically states it will go into month to month. If not there is probably a prevailing law on the topic that a local attorney can advise you upon. On average that is what happens when a lease ends it becomes month to month. With that a landlord needs to give 30 days notice as it seems your did. If the landlord wants to sell the property they can ask you to leave in order for them to do so.

I suggest asking the landlord for additional time if possible. if they say no you can always consult a local attorney and ask them if there are any caveats in the law that may allow you to get additional time. I personally would know know of any but maybe in your area thre is something I would nt be aware of that only a local attorney can help you with. good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption