How can I legally evict my cousin whom shares the lease with me?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I legally evict my cousin whom shares the lease with me?

He has not paid anything since we moved in. He has not stepped foot on the property in months. Hes not employed and hasn’t been for some time, so maybe that could affect his application or terms for being on the lease? There was an incident where he tried to hit my boyfriend (who is a resident as well) with his car on my property and he damaged the property. Is there anything I can do? Quickly. He has a terrible temper and lacks any respect for anyone but himself. I really need the room and its full of his crap. Maybe there are laws about abandoning property?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Is your cousin a tenant under the lease that you have with the landlord where he is a named tenant, or does he just share the property you are renting as a guest? If he is a tenant, you will have a hard time evicting him even though he has not paid any rent.

If he is a guest, you can simply ask him to leave and change the locks. It seems that he has not been on the property for months. If so, send him a written notice that you deem him abandoning the lease he  has for the property assuming he was a tenant.

If he was a guest, send him a notice that he needs to pick up his belongings within a certain stated time period and if he does not, his belongings will be donated to charity or thrown away as being abandoned. Keep copies of all letters sent him.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption