How can I get custody of my son?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get custody of my son?

My wife is leaving me and she wants full custody of my son. I have been his primary caregiver for the past year. I lost my job 2 years ago about the time my wife finished her nursing degree. I have worked temporary jobs and held a seasonal position which have all ended. I have just started a part-time job so I have no money. My wife has a very well paying job. We were separated for a year and moved back in together for 3 months. Our lease is up the end of the month and she is planning on getting a place for her and my son. I love my son more than anything and feel helpless.

Asked on August 12, 2011 Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you feel your wife has left you and you had supported her while she was getting her education, think of the traditional role reversal that occurs and see if you can get support from her (child and palimony) in order to support yourself until you get another job and the child support to continue to support your son. Talk to the state bar in Wisconsin and see if there are father's rights legal groups that can help you with little or no cost for representation. Talk to the state bar about pro bono law firms or law firms that take on a certain percentage of pro bono cases and talk to county legal aid firms in your city or county.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption