How can I help a future case when trying to get out of a no compete contract

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I help a future case when trying to get out of a no compete contract

My employer has me sign a 3 year no
compete clause when I started working
where I am. The contract is for many of
our neighboring counties. It’s been over
3 years since then and things have gone
on at work that doesn’t allow me to be
comfortable working there anymore. How
difficult would it be to get out of a
contract like that and is there anything
I could do in the meantime to help my

Asked on July 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't get out of a non-competition agreement which you signed, unless the employer terminates you--they can't fire you while preventing you from working elsewhere. (Technically, the reason the contract would fail in that case is that by terminating you, they take away the thing of value or "considertion"--the job--which you were receiving in exchange for your non-competition agreement.) However, 3 years is longer than the courts typically enforce--substantially longer, in fact. Generally, courts will only enforce a 6 - 12 month agreement for non-former-owners of a company, finding that period of time a reasonable balance between protecting the employer's interests while not preventing the employee from being able to work in his/her field for two long. So it is likely that you could get the length of the contract cut down in court (e.g. if they sue you to enforce it) but are very unlikely to escape it entirely.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption