How can I have a neighbor’s tenant evicted for playing their music too loudly?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I have a neighbor’s tenant evicted for playing their music too loudly?

I live in CA and have a neighbor who moved to D.C. He rented his condo to a tenant who will not cease playing their music so loud it vibrates my condo? It is driving me mad and all the neighbors in the area too. What can I do? The landlord is willing to help me.

Asked on September 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are several possibilities:

1) First, you might rent or buy a decible meter to see how loud it is; then contact city hall or the municipal clerk's office or police department to find out what the noise regulations are. If the noise level is too high for the times when the neighbor is making it, there is a violation of a noise ordinance and you can contact the police.

2) Second, you could discuss with an attorney whether you could bring a lawsuit for nuisance; the bar or threshold for when something is a nuisance is pretty high, but this may reach it.

3) Third, if the landlord is willing to help, he may be able to evict this tenant for disturbing the peace, particularly if the lease contains any clause or terms or conditions which bar the tenant from doing so. This is something to discuss with the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption