How can I go about making sure someone pays me money that they owe me?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I go about making sure someone pays me money that they owe me?

I co-signed a bail for a co-worker and had a verbal agreement that she was to pay her bail. She had informed me that I would not have to worry about anything and that she would indeed pay it. Now she is avoiding me and my calls and everytime I ask for the money for it, she says she doesn’t have it. I was thinking of trying to put a lien on her car since that is the only thing she owns.

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you had with your co-worker was a contract where by you would lend her money for her bail and she would pay you back, correct?  And now she has breached the contract and is avoiding her obligation.  My concern here for you is that the contract in some way violates a law known as the Statute of Frauds, which is a law in every state that certain transactions MUST be in writing and signed by the "party to be charged" - her - in order to be valid. Contracts for real estate sales are an example but many states have provisions for contracts that involve money as it is here.  Also, you must first obtain a judgement against her before you can put a lien on anything.   would contact an attorney in your area on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption