How can I get the condo owners association to do their duty and repair outside damage without having to sue?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get the condo owners association to do their duty and repair outside damage without having to sue?

I have owned my unit for almost 4 years and there is a continued problem of the wooden panels on the second floor exterior that are rotting from age. I have asked several times to have them repaired and now bats are getting into the buildings and it’s becoming a safety concern for me and my pets. How can I get them to repair the damage? They keep telling me that it’s just not in the budget but I have paid every single month and have paid all the special assessments too.

Asked on July 28, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would write the association a letter setting forth the basis of their duty to make the prior requested repairs to the area needing repairs and give the association a set date to start the repairs. Keep a copy of the letter.

In the letetr state that if repairs are not started by the date requested, you will hire a contractor to make the repairs and charge the association for the repairs. I assume you can pay the contractor to do this.

If you cannot afford a contractor to make the repairs, you might consider going to the local building and permit department to make a complaint about the problems needing to be fixed by the association and request an inspection. If the building and permit department comes out to make an inspection, their report may require a fix to the problem area forcing the association to make the repairs that you have been long requesting.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption