How can I get started in the process of suing someone after a personal injury?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get started in the process of suing someone after a personal injury?

I am a first year college studentand I was hit by one of the universty’s electric carts. It was someone from the university faculty and they broke my ankle. They keep calling me and it’s because they don’t want me to sue. I wanted to know who I can see or how I can get started on the process of suing them?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have two options:

The easy one--hire a lawyer and let the lawyer sue. You need to make sure that the potential economic recovery will support the lawyer's cost, however--bear in mind that you can recover your unreimbursed medical expenses, lost wages (if any), and possibly a small amount for pain and suffering if you've been unable to do normal activities for some time.

The do-it-yourself option: if the potential damages to recover don't justify hiring an attorney, you can institute a suit yourself by filing a summons and complaint. Contract your local court, either in person or online, to find instructions and sample forms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption