How can I get paid for the hours I worked?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get paid for the hours I worked?

About 2 months ago, I worked a couple of hours for a home care services business. I submitted all the documents that my employer requested for but up until today, I’ve not been paid a dime for the care that I provided for my clients. I’ve called my employer time without count but she’s ignoring my calls and the only times I got to talk her, she said she is too busy to attend to paying me but she will pay me.

I’m frustrated about it as I need the money to support my family through this hard time that we are currently facing in my family. How can I make my employer to pay me my money?

Asked on September 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your employer: that's how you get money from someone who owes you but will not pay. You sue them for "breach of contract": for violating the agreement (even if only an oral, or unwritten, one) pursuant to which you agreed to work in exchange for pay. If you did your part (worked), they must do their part (pay you). For the amount of money likely at stake, suing in small claims court, on a "pro se" basis (as your own attorney) is likely a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption