How can I get out of car debt that my husband has place me in?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of car debt that my husband has place me in?

My husband I separated he has taken my vehicle out of spite. The vehicle is in my name only I was made to be the only one making payments on the vehicle. Due to my husband’s control issues he refused to allow me to drive it even after he caused damage to it. He bought himself another car after he has done something

unknown with my car then disappeared. I’m left without a car for myself and my children and with this major debt I can’t afford at this time. I’m also having a difficult time getting another vehicle because of this outstanding debt and it’s put a dent in my credit.

Asked on March 7, 2019 under Family Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation, which will eliminate the car debt, if you are eligible to file Chapter 7.
If you are ineligible to file Chapter 7, you could file Chapter 13; however, that would require a plan for paying off the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption