How can I get out off a lease on which there are 2 other people?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out off a lease on which there are 2 other people?

I talked to our lease office and they told me that I need a letter signed by all parties in order to vacate. This will not be possible because of personal differences between us recently. Both of these tenants have moved out over the weekend. Will I be caught with all payments if they are gone over 30 days? I plan to attend a school in a different state and wish to be relieved of my part. Is there a way I can do this?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and the other two people signed a written lease for property with the landlord, all three of you are on the hook for the balance of the lease's term and monthly amount.

If you remain in the unit as a tenant, you are obligated for the full amount of the rent if the other two former tenants refuse to pay their respective shares of the rent.

Your options are: 1. ask the other two to come up with the maounts owed, 2. sublease the apartment to help defray the monthly shorftall in rent payments to the landlord, 3. pay entire monthly rent yourself, 4. contact landlord and see if he would end lease early.

Make sure that the written lease states all named tenants are on the hook for full amount or not. Potentially the lease might just say each tenant is reponsible for their own share. If so, you have an argument that you are responsible for only your stated amount on a monthly basis as rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption