How can I get out of being a co-signer of a car with my ex-wife?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of being a co-signer of a car with my ex-wife?

I co-sign for my ex-wife 3 years ago when we were married under the understanding that she would pay at least half. I have been paying the car myself for the past 3 years due to her irresponsiblity. She will let the car status go into delinquency and I will have to pay so it won’t affect my credit and even at one time get it out of repossession, not including the late fees, etc. Right now we have a divorce agreement dating back 10 months stating that she will pay half. She only paid her half for 3 of the 10 months. It’s always in delinquency and affecting my credit. She won’t refinance or just give me the car. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on March 15, 2018 under Family Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can take your wife to have the court enforce your divorce agreemnt. However, you have no recourse rgeagiding the auto lender. In other words, until the loan is paid off, you are financially responsible for making the payments. The fact is that your lender was not a party to your divorce, so your divorce agreement is not binding on them. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption