How can I get out of a lease without incurring damage to my renters credit. And could they come after rent on the rest of the lease?

UPDATED: May 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of a lease without incurring damage to my renters credit. And could they come after rent on the rest of the lease?

Its a 2400 a month house with only myself and my roommate. I was laid off and we just want out. Lease is til November.

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Utah


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is an unfortunate situation and is common in the economy.  Many landlords are willing to work with their tenants as a result of job loss.  I suggest having a face to face with the porperty manager/landlord and discussing the situation and provide him with a plan of your ability to start making payments again when you secure new employment.  You may be able to put something in writing saying that you can get a few months free and then begin paying at a new reduced rate.  you never know unless you ask.  If you walk away without paying the landlord can sue you and if he gets a judgment it will affect your credit.  Make the phone call to set up the meeting.  If you want to move, ask to pay a reduced rate to get out of the lease, unless the lease has a provision for that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption