How can I get out of a cell phone contract?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of a cell phone contract?

Have had it 7 weeks and am disgusted by the service, dropped calls and customer service. Phone is in perfect condition. Still waiting to hear from a supervisor who is supposed to call to discuss a current matter.. no call last night and this is the 2nd time no one has called to follow up.

Asked on August 2, 2011 New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are not getting what you are paying for--e.g. you are not getting the service represented or promised to you--you *may* have grounds  to terminate the contract without penalty, due to the phone provider's breach of its obligations. However, only "material" breaches, or those going to the core of the agreement (i.e. to the heart of what you are paying for--phone service) will provide grounds for termination. Bad customer service or slow supervisor feedback almost certainly do *not* rise to that level and will not justify termination. Possibly the dropped calls would, but only if there are of considerable frequency--some amount of dropped calls is endemic to cell phones. Thus, there may be a situation where you cannot safely terminate the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption