How can I get my money back if I paid a $5000 deposit on my ex-boyfriend’s car?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my money back if I paid a $5000 deposit on my ex-boyfriend’s car?

I paid the car dealership $5000 for my ex-boyfriend’s car. I wrote a check out to the dealership and the car is under his name only. I arranged an agreement with him about him paying me all the money back and he keeps delaying He says thing like, “Oh, I’ll just pay you next week” or “I want to give you more next paycheck”. If there is any information that can help me get my money back it is really appreciated.

Asked on August 8, 2011 Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former boyfriend was loaned $5,000 by you for the new car he purchased, he needs to repay you what is owed you. Do you have a promissory note or anything in writing from him stating that he would be paying you what you loaned him?

You need to do the following:

1. write him a letter stating a specific date that he begin making payments to you on the $5,000. Keep a copy of this letter for future use.

2. if you receive no response or one that is not adequate, consider filing a small claims court action against him for the $5,000 owed.

From what you have written, it seems that your former boyfriend has no intent in repaying you the $5,000 loaned.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption