How can I get my felony charges reduced to a misdimeanor?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my felony charges reduced to a misdimeanor?

I was charged with a felony last year for theft from a retail store. Now I cannot get a job. I have a college degree ad no priors. Is there a way to have my charge reduced to a misdemeanor? Should i speak with a criminal law attorney? In Baltimore, MD.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have not yet been convicted of the felony charges against you, then perhaps by way of a plea agreement you can agree to a lesser included charge and plea out to a misdemeanor versus a felony charge regarding the event that you were arrested for.

From what you have written, it sounds as though it would be in your best interests to consult with a criminal defense attorney about your situation. Possibly in a couple of years you might be able to file a petition to have your conviction expunged (eliminated) but that is something you need to discuss with a criminal defense attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption