How can I get money that was left to me in a Will 12 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get money that was left to me in a Will 12 years ago?

I was a minor when probate was settled. The Will stipulates receiving money at age 21. I am now 22 and my aunt, the executor, refuses to make payment and is refusing to communicate. Further complicated because the Will was written and completed probate in one state and I am in another.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire a probate attorney in the state where the will was probated to file a motion within the probate.  If your aunt refuses to fulfil her duties as the executor, then you can petition to have her removed as the executor and request a new one which will follow the provisions of the will and make the appropriate disbursements.  Depending on your aunt's other actions, you may have additional remedies including breach of fiduciary duty and conversion-- but the attorney in the state of the probate can give you a better idea of the specific options after getting more details on your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption