How can I get divorced if I do not have the money to hire an attorney? Where do I go

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get divorced if I do not have the money to hire an attorney? Where do I go

I need to divorce the stepfather of my son and I need to get custody of my son. My husband raped my oldest daughter and she now has a child by him. I am originally from El Salvador and speak limited English. My twin daughters can help me to read this but I need help.
My number is 586-696-9065.
My email is

Thank you for any help that you can give to me.

Asked on January 25, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult with an attorney, espaecially since there are custody issues to be addressed. Since money is an issue for you, check if you qualify for representation by legal aid or see if there is a law school clinic nearby (they are free/low cost). Also, you can contact the bar association in your county/state which may have a list of attorneys who will take your case for a reduced fee. Finally, google local women's support groups in your area or contact the Department of Social Services; they may be able to refer you to inexpensive legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption