How can I get an extended court date?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get an extended court date?

I received a letter in the mail today saying that I have court tomorrow. I’m recovering from a knee surgery and am on workers comp. If I miss therapy I could lose my income

Asked on May 8, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Contact the court (the clerk's office), explain the situation, and ask how to apply for an adjournment (delay or extension). They may let you apply for it by phone or fax (and if so, may require documentation about the injury or therapy), but they may not: every court has its own rules and procedures about asking for an adjournment. If they won't let you get an adjournment at this late date by phone or fax, hire an attorney--pretty much any attorney who is available--to appear in court for you and request the adjournement in person. If you lawyer appears for you, it is highly unlikely that you will suffer sanctions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption