How canI get an emergency custody hearing/order?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI get an emergency custody hearing/order?

I gave custody to the paternal grandmother because I was enlisting into the army I am no longer going and want to change the custody order. We both went to mediation and she disagreed on giving me back custody, so now we have to go to court but that’s not for another 6 weeks. My daughter is only 6 months and I don’t want her to forget me and the grandmother is not allowing me to visit her. I want to get an earlier court date. So I want to get an emergency custody hearing/order from what i have told you can I get one?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you have a family law attorney representing you in the matter that you are writing about, you need him or her to go in on an ex parte basis to have the hearing date that you are writing about advanced by several weeks. If you do not have a family law attorney representing you in your matter, I suggest that you consult with one about the ex parte process in that it is somewhat of a complicated process to try and advance a hearing date for a matter set in court down the road.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption