How can I get a written letter from my previous employer saying that they don’t reimburse for mileage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a written letter from my previous employer saying that they don’t reimburse for mileage?

I am getting audited from the IRS. They are asking for a copy of the reimbursement policy from my previous employer. My previous employer is being uncooperative and now the IRS is asking for me to pay them back all because I couldn’t provide a statement from the company saying they never reimburse me.

Asked on July 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't get this letter from them if they won't give it to you voluntarily unless you fight the IRS, are sued by them, and in the lawsuit use a subpoena to compel a manager, etc. there to testify on the record as to their policy. (You can only compel testimony, information, or the provision of documents in a legal action.) But taking deposition testimony by itself will typically cost your $1,200 - $1,800, let alone the other costs of litigation; it is not at all clear this is worthwhile. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption