How can I get a judgment lifted and suspension of my driver’s license reversed?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a judgment lifted and suspension of my driver’s license reversed?

Approximately 16 years ago, a judgment was awarded in favor of a car rental company in the amount of $1400. The suit arose from a claim of damage to a rental car. The damage was allegedly discovered when the company came to my residence to retrieve their property. This damage did not occur as the result of an auto accident. I never appeared in court to defend myself. I only became aware of the judgment in 1998, when the MD MVA suspended my driver’s license.

Asked on August 10, 2011 Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have an unsatisfied judgment of $1,400.00 resulting from a default entered against you. Interest has accrued on this judgment at the legal rate, presumably 10% per annum in your state.

The only way you can remove the suspension of your driver's license resulting from this $1,400.00 judgment is to have it satisfied in full where you receive a signed, notarized, and dated "full satisfaction of judgment" filed in the court where the judgment arose.

The only way you can get a satisfaction of judgment is to contact the judgment creditor owning this $1,400.00 judgment and work out some agreement where a certain sum of money is paid in exchange for the "full satisfaction of judgment".

Once you have this document, you contact your state's department of motor vehicles and provide a copy of it to this entity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption