How canI get a copy of my father’s Will?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI get a copy of my father’s Will?

His wife has gave us nothing and won’t let us see the Will.

Asked on August 12, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your father left a will upon his passage as opposed to a trust, you can go down to the county court house and review the probate file concerning your father's estate's probate assuming the will is being probated.

In most probate proceedings, the original will of the deceased is part of the superior court's probate file. Probate proceedings are public proceedings where anyone can pull up the probate file at the clerk's office and review it. By pulling up the probate file of your late father, assuming there is a probate filed, you will be able to see the will.

If your late father's wife says there is a will of your late father, in order for his assets to transfer to the beneficiaries under the represented will, the will has to be submitted to probate at some time with a court filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption