How can I get a continuance for court in one county if I am arrested in another county without the courts knowledge?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a continuance for court in one county if I am arrested in another county without the courts knowledge?

My friend is incarcerated in one county, yet has court in another county before his release date. What do I need to do to get it continued without having alerted the court of his current incarceration so that a hold is not placed on him?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There's nothing you can do that's legal.  Please don't lie to the court about why your friend needs an adjournment, because that will only cause him, and quite possibly you, more trouble.

The court system isn't the most efficient, sometimes.  But all the information is there in the computers, and sooner or later, somebody will connect the dots, and people who lie to the courts get caught.  Most judges, quite rightly, have a very bad attitude about this sort of thing, and you really do not want to be on the wrong end of that:  your friend could lose all credibility in both his cases, and get no breaks at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption