How can I get a collection agency to stop calling for debts over 10 years old?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a collection agency to stop calling for debts over 10 years old?

I know the statute of limitations is in effect. The year for last date of activity is 2000. I have informed them of this but they keep calling. These debts they are trying to collect aren’t even on my credit report any more. Is there anything I can do to make them stop? There were no judgments against me on these 2 debts.

Asked on October 15, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations has to do with the timeframe in which a lawsuit must be brought.  Apparrently, in your state, the statute of limitations has run so your collectors can no longer sue for this debt.  However, you still owe the money.  The statute of limitations does not wipe out debt.  I'm afraid that you really can't get them to stop calling you.  At this point you just may want to change your number. 

If they threaten you in some way, call earlier than 8:00 am or later than 9:00 pm they are in violation of the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act".  For this, or other violations of the Act, you can contact your state's department of consumer protection and file a compliant and/or speak to an attorney about pursuing legal action.

Note:  If you acknowledged the debt in any way (ie made partial payments or agreed to) after 2000, then the limitations period restarts from that latter date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption