How can I formally write a subrogation dispute letter?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I formally write a subrogation dispute letter?

I was involved in a car accident about 5 months ago. Now I’m being sued by
the other driver’s insurance company. I was the one hit while I was turning
right onto the Interstate Highway. I was determined to be at fault and did
receive a ticket. The ticket quoted that I had failed to yield for the driver but I
did make a complete stop. At that time, my insurance had temporarily lapsed
a month before my accident leaving me uninsured at the time of the accident.
The reason it had lapsed was because my mom was issued a new debit card
from our bank and the numbers on it changed. My mom didn’t update it with
our insurance company, therefore the insurance company cancelled our
insurance. I received a letter in the mail that the other drivers insurance
company wants to sue for 11,700. No attorney has evaluated the claim yet
and I was told by my insurance company to dispute.

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You write the letter by simply setting out, clearly and succienctly, why you feel you were not at fault and do not owe the money  (bear in mind that if you were at fault, the other driver's insurer has the legal right to recover reimbursement from you for anything they paid out under their policy to their driver--so if you were at fault, you will end up paying). Be careful to NOT put anything in the letter that could harm you or show wrongdoing or fault on your part, since as the old saying goes, anything you say can be used against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption